Starting a Colorado Brewery (10 Legal Steps)

Craft brewery

File your Colorado application for a Manufacturer's License

Step 9: File your Colorado application for a Manufacturer’s License

Starting a Colorado Brewery involves obtaining a Manufacturer’s License from the Colorado Department of Revenue Liquor and Tobacco Enforcement Division. I typically recommend following up the submission of your TTB Brewer’s Notice Application by immediately filing your Colorado Manufacturer’s License application. Here is Colorado’s Supplier Application. Tip: Download this form and store it locally on your computer, otherwise it will not save properly.

What you’ll need:

As you will see, Colorado offers 2 types of brewery licenses: (1) 3.2% beer manufacturer’s license, which costs $150/year; and (2) manufacturer’s license (brewery), which costs $300/year. To prepare your application, you will need to provide information about your brewery, including addresses, contact information, and state and federal tax ID numbers. You will also need to at least provide:

  • A list of all Officer and Directors (corp.) or all members and all officers/directors/managers (LLC)
  • A diagram of the premises;
  • A deed/lease for the premises;
  • Individual history for each “principal” of the company;
  • Fingerprint cards for each “principal,” plus a payment of $39.50 per card;
  • Organizational documents for the company (for corporations this at least includes the articles of incorporation, for LLCs this at least includes the articles of organization and operating agreement); and
  • Copy of the brewer’s notice (at least include the application to start, supplement with issued brewer’s notice later)

Colorado defines “principal” for LLCs as, “managing members or officers of a limited liability company, and members owning 10% or more of the company,” and for corporations as, “all principal officers of a corporation, all directors of a corporation, and any stockholder of a corporation owning 10% or more of the outstanding stock.”

Additional information will be required if the company wants to store product at another location, operate a transportation truck, or if other situations apply.